Monday, February 7, 2011

GRINDING your own FLOUR

One of the great features of the OmniBlender is the dry blade and wet blade in one container.  In one competitor's blender, you have a bunch of attachments and extras to purchase.  I love that this one features both blades!
 
We did a little testing with whole grains and ground them to see how well the Omniblender did.

MILLET: 
  1. pour under 2 C of grain into blender.  1 3/4 C works best as a maximum....otherwise the grains will not be completely ground.

  2. use the 60 sec. function button
  3. I had to use the pulse button a few times after the 60 sec. feature because I filled the container with 2 C of millet.....just to see how far I could take it...I think I'll keep it to 1 3/4 C in the future....hahaha!
I made muffins with the millet flour...but we couldn't taste them because our dog jumped up onto the counter and ate them while they were cooling...they sure looked good!!


2 C millet

OmniBlend grinding the millet into flour

top view of the millet flour





BUCKWHEAT:
I used all of the buckwheat I had left in the house, and you can see it was only 3/4 C.  Lets see how it does in the OmniBlend V blender!  I used the same 60 sec. button and let the blender do its work.  I am very pleased with the results!  A very fine grind....you can't even see one grain left whole.  Fantastic!!!

3/4 C buckwheat

grinding the buckwheat into flour

whole buckwheat and ground buckwheat flour

a very fine grind when you don't put too much grain in the blender (buckwheat)
NOTE: Please store your freshly ground flours in airtight containers in the freezer to prevent them from going rancid. 

Enjoy!
Amber

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited that I will be getting an omni blender , I can't wait to use it for this sort of thing. Thanks for taking such awesome pictures. I love your website and btw I will be buying the blender off your site tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete