Monday, February 7, 2011

2 smoothies from one and a green muffin!

arugula, basil & melon smoothie recipe:
  • lg. handful kale 
  • lg. handful romaine lettuce
  • sm. handful arugula
  • 2 sprigs basil (leaves only)
  • 1 C froz. honeydew melon
  • 1/4 C froz. pear apple
  • 1 navel orange
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • maple syrup (to taste)
  • 6 ice cubes and 1-2 C pure water (to desired consistency)





blend using the 60 sec. button on the OmniBlend V.
pour two 16oz. mugs for the adults,



then add more fruit to the leftover smoothie (aprox. 8 oz.) for the kids:
  • 1/2 C froz. red grapes
  • 1/2 C froz. blueberries
  • 5 froz. strawberries
  • plain yogurt
  • 1 C pure water

two smoothies from one set of greens
Our six year old is getting tired of the green colour...this compromise keeps her happy and drinking her greens!

Nick and I loved the basil with the melon and arugula in this smoothie!
I had made another arugula smoothie a few days ago and found the spicy taste of the arugula very strong....with the addition of the herb (basil) it adds a depth to the refreshing taste.

My unsuccessful smoothie was a blend of the usual fruits and greens with the addition of 2 C of arugula and 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil.  This blend if flavours did not suit my palate...too strong!  I think that I will save the coconut oil for a pina colada smoothie (ideas for later).

SO what do  I do with a unsuccessful smoothie?....well....I decided to make MUFFINS!  I used an applesauce oatmeal muffin recipe and substituted the liquid and applesauce measurements for my undrinkable green smoothie...the result....a very delicious GREEN muffin.  Now my daughter's first reaction was, "I'm not going to eat that!" and after she watched me enjoying it, she gave it a try and quickly retracted her ill attitude towards greens in muffins.  I think these green muffins will be a great addition to our St. Patty's Day celebrations!  I still had some undrinkable smoothie left over, so I added another 1.5 C of berries some pure water and that diluted the strong taste...so I drank it!  That's me, can't waste the good stuff!


green smoothie oatmeal cranberry muffins
I hope you are having as much fun as I am.....creating and enjoying the many uses of your OmniBlend V blender.

Enjoy!

Amber

5 comments:

  1. That's great! I hate throwing food out too and it hurts to see such good things go to waste .Those muffins are a great idea for St. Paddys day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Omniblend blender

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Hand Blender Reviews, or immersion blenders, are a great handy gadget to have in the kitchen for making single drinks, pureeing soups in a pot or for small chores where a large blender would be an inconvenience. Some brands of hand blenders also include a chopping blade, making chopping small amounts of onions or other vegetables simple and easy, or a whisk for whipping egg whites or making mayonnaise. Hand blenders should not be confused with hand mixers, which are used to like table top mixing bowl units.

    Hand Blenders are going to be the next innovation for the kitchen mixing and fining of fruits and vegetables. Proper maintenance of hand blenders is very essential to maximize their use. Timely cleaning, proper lubrication of internal parts, and turning off power supply when not in use, is very helpful to provide a long life to your hand blender. Hand blenders should be kept dry, most of the times. Hand blenders are one of the most reliable kitchen appliances that can come in handy anytime, to blend fruits like apples, orange pulps, mango pulps, and even vegetable extracts or purees of vegetables like tomatoes, garlic, etc. Hand blenders are very effective in blending with absolute proportion. The best way to maximize the utility of a hand blender is to make it a primary preference for blending and mesmerizing edible raw food materials, and to create semi-solid purees for using in different dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your Information. Keep up the good work. Yinka Alege

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. Tim hornibrook

    ReplyDelete