Monday, June 6, 2011

veggie soup base

We like to eat soup! And with all of the rainy days we have been having it just works out to throw together a few raw veggies and some water in the blender and put a pot of soup on the stove.

Our toddler is on a veggie strike at present.  Cooked, raw...he notices and doesn't eat them.  BUT...if I puree the veggies in a smoothie or a soup, he doesn't seem to notice and he eats without any trouble.

When making my soup I chop a few veggies (like: carrot, green beans, corn) and saute' with olive oil for a few min. in the soup pot, then I take more raw veggies (like: onion, carrot, red pepper, green beans, garlic) put them in my OmniBlend V Blender with water up to the level of the veggies, and blend using the 90 sec. setting.  Then I pour the puree into the soup pot over top of the cooking veggies, bring to a boil and reduce to a low boil, adding what ever grains and beans or lentils and seasonings.  I watch it and stir occasionally until the grains and beans are cooked through.  Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.

I often look in recipe books to get ideas on how to season and spice different soups...I just adjust my cooking method to accommodate pureed veggies.  I hope this helps inspire you to get creative with your soup making!  I have had so much fun and hope you do, too!

Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment